A Brief History of Lake City:
The Mining Era, 1874-1904
Settlement & Town Building: Ball Flats
Lake City's growth fell short of original expectations. The east side of the 1875 plat - fifteen blocks and five fractional blocks - remained relatively undeveloped until the end of the twentieth century.
This area instead became irrigated farmland in the late 1800s, producing hay and vegetable crops such as potatoes, beets, turnips, and cabbages.
In later years, a pest house, horse racing track, and baseball diamond were located here, explaining its present-day name of "Ball Flats."