J. W. Brockett (ca 1828 - 1904) owned a succession of stores extending from the street to alley on the northwest corner of Gunnison Avenue and Third Street.
He operated one of the most extensive hardware stores in Lake City and also served as County Judge. When this building burned down in 1879, Brockett replaced it with a brick building, a two-story business block similar in design and materials to the adjacent Hough Block.
Apparently he experienced financial setbacks because the property appears on Sanborn Fire Insurance maps as unfinished. Brockett lived in several different residences in Lake City and also on a ranch on the Lake Fork north of town.