A Brief History of Lake City:
The Mining Era, 1874-1904
Commercial Development: Entrepreneurs
Smith C. Foote
Smith C. Foote (1850 - 1883), a Colorado Springs capitalist, erected a large frame building on the southeast corner of Third and Silver where he operated the Foote & Kellogg drugstore and mercantile business in partnership with Dr. George Kellogg. They sold the building in 1877, after which it contained the Miners and Merchants Bank.
In partnership with Dr. J. P. Richardson, Foote developed the Foote & Richardson Addition in 1881 southwest of the original Lake City townsite in and operated a local brickyard in the early 1880s.
He began construction of a five-room brick dwelling at 117 South Silver Street in 1880, although he apparently lost it to creditors before it was completed.